Flying Home Amid Corona Virus Fears

There have been too many gray days! Even on our trip. We packed up yesterday. There was a dismal feeling in the air – our trip was ending, we would be going our separate ways, the Corona Virus and it’s doomdem was still hanging in the air, and we had a day of travel ahead of us- in the face of many germs and possibly the virus itself.

We had planned out our schedule the day before. We are Nashvillians by heart so planning to do the things we needed to do we gave ourselves plenty of time (eat breakfast, check out, get gas in the rental car, return rental car, get through security, buy water, restroom one more time – and then board). However – there was little traffic, there were no lines at rental, no lines at security. We found ourselves at the airport waaaaaay too early.

While more people came later, the airport was minimal with people. I was a bit tense that flights would be cancelled. I calmed myself and said I’d get a rental car and if they were all taken (you know lots have probably switched to driving to destinations now) then George would have to come get me. Somehow I’d make it home. We always have to have a plan B, and a C. So I tried not to worry. I also figured the flights would be a bit bumpy. They were not that bad though. But until we both got home safely, my mind could just not be at ease. Not to mention these old planes – and the news that just yesterday a flight from Dallas to Nashville took 8 hours b/c of someone saying he had Corona virus, being unruly. Was I too going to be on a plane where something like this going wrong? Where planes and people are being shuffled. Were the good pilots still going to be flying or we getting a young newby? My mind thinks too much.

Katy and I listened to her church’s online worship service. It was calming. I know to be calm but have to be reminded every day. lol. Surprisingly our flight boarded on time and it was a quick flight from Tulsa to Dallas, with only 40 minutes in the air. Our stewards were a bit young and seemed a little green (new) and immediately announced it would be bumpy and no service. (Often on those small flights, they tell you that. Then it’s not hardly bumpy at all.) The pilots made them do service though. I was shocked. So since it was lunch time, I had a glass of white wine to take the edge off my nerves. The white wine they are serving now is really good too – it’s a wine from South Africa. I wish I’d taken a photo of it so I could try to find it. They also keep it REALLY cold. It did the trick, only no sooner than it was served they announced we had to hurry and drink up as they needed to take up what they passed out. The last 1/4 of my drink I had to knock back which made Katy and laugh. Neither of us knew I had it in me! Even the steward must have chuckled. The wine was free by the way. But still, I needed to have the edge taken off – and not just 3/4 of the edge, lol.

And just like that, the plane landed. We were close to the front and my girl got her bag and said “Love you Mom” and was gone in a flash. The tears stung. I treasured this trip together. I scooted over into her window seat and looked out the window as they put her colorful checked bag on the cart. I texted her the pic and said “your bag is on the way”.

She later texted back, “got it” and then again “made it to the car”.

I had time to get off the plane for rest room break and back on again since there was a crew change. I was on the same plane and normally you don’t have time to get off but they let us.

Then on to Dallas. It seemed like it would take forever to get home, but the flight home was an hour and 15 minutes.

I read my book “We are the Russo’s” and then also played Candy Crush. Soon we would be landing. I had a coke on this service which was really good as it was served over ice and was just tasty. I rarely ever drink coke, but I needed the caffeine and didn’t want coffee. I’d save that for home.

Nashville, BNA, was fairly busy but not near what it normally is. Got my luggage, figured out where ground transportation for Economy lot C was. Was glad I took a photo of where I parked.

Then I was off to home. It felt weird to drive. Katy shuffled me around all weekend when we were not in planes. And that is usually when I finished my blog entries each day. I would start it in the room, finish it on the road or during a quiet time (like the tea house and yesterday, or the airport).

So I got home, gave George his souvenir from Katy and myself. It’s a Hurts Donut Shop t-shirt and coffee from Tulsa and also I bought some coffee for him at the Pioneer woman’s shop. George is always saying “wanna hurts donut?” and someone says “yes” or “what’s that” and you give him a pinch or a nudge and then go “hurts donut (don’t it?)” lol. I had never heard it, but Katy said George asked her that all the time. So when she saw the Hurts Donut shop, she had to stop and we got him a t shirt (and we got ourselves a donut).

I was glad to be home. It was a relief because of all the madness with this Corona virus now. Things went from bad to worse while we were gone. Many schools have cancelled, sports events cancelled, now churches cancelled, and people began hoarding things, and there is a toilet paper shortage, and then it went into round two with there being shortages on just about anything left in the stores. My own mother texting she went to beat the crowds only to find a line around the building to get into the store at opening. She finally went back and got the things she needed. I asked if she wanted to stay with us for a while til things calmed so we could do the fighting for her to get what was needed. But she says she is fine.

Then we began hearing that companies were asking their employees to work from home. Jokingly I told my family – that won’t be happening at our work. At least not for my position with payroll. I would have to have printing capability and a dock set up with a mouse. It would take a lot of scrambling and set up to be able to do things from home.

Anyway, while we were gone, every day just got a little more sideways with the news and what all happening in our world. Back home, everyone seemed happy to see me. Dogs and even George. He fixed us an amazing dinner – jalapeño burgers, a lima bean dish that was out of this world cooked in the air fryer, and rice.

I was able to get a load of clothes done, unpacked, and I was glad he had washed up his shirts for the weekend. I changed sheets and also the sleep was awesome last night. Everyone slept well and so did I.

Now back to work, which I am looking forward to. I can’t say that has always been the case. So this is a good thing.

Ya’ll have a great day! And a great week. I will try to pop in a bit each day but it might be every other day. I have some extra pics to share from vacay. And I think it’s important to blog our feelings during all this Corona mess. Or COVID-19.

How is all this impacting you guys? Work? Stocking up? Are you handling it ok? Love you guys! We’ll support each other through all this! Here’s some funny’s for ya and a message below.

See ya in the next day or two.

9 responses to “Flying Home Amid Corona Virus Fears”

  1. Glad you are home safe and sound and enjoyed the trip here things are crazy at the stores every ones life being turned upside down I

  2. Glad you are home safely. It has been such a lovely week with Kate and you keeping us up to date with all you have been doing and the nice photographs that you have shared with us. We are all in the Coronavirus together and I’m afraid it’s going to last a very long time and affect many many people. From this week we elderly people …..never knew I was one LOL….but elderly over 70 has been asked to stay indoors and not mix with groups of people. We are making arrangements for what to do if by any chance we should catch the virus but please God that it passes us….and all our friends. I am taking my real elderly neighbour 89 shopping tomorrow have told her to buy a little more IF she can..I will also pick up a few odds and ends…I hope that you can find a way to work from home over here everybody has been told they ..must…if at all possibly do so. My niece already works from home but her company has told all staff to do their best to work from home from Wednesday…
    Night night lovely one..take care please try to stay clear of groups of people even if you know them
    Take care. Keep washing your hands…

  3. It is good you had this time with your daughter. Things are surreal in the world right now. Some times I feel strangely calm then Other times I feel bad anxiety. All Schools are closed. Most of the eating places are delivering or doing drive-thru window only. Stores have cut back hours or are closed. Grocery stores are packed and they are out of almost everything. I think trucks are still coming with deliveries. I thought to myself we may have to plant a garden this year. I still remember working in a garden with my Mother. We are all okay so far and I am very thankful none of us have taken sick with all this going on. I am glad to hear you are back home with your husband and little doggies. No place like home. Glad you had a safe trip.

  4. glad you are back home and safe. i know you are looking forward to your work week. lots to get done, i’m sure.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: