All the Christmas has been gathered. It’s time to load them back up in the tubs and send them back to the basement for another year. It’s kinda sad to see them go. Although I really am not a fan of red, I do enjoy our house being a “Santa Land” for six weeks or so. It’s kind of a lot of trouble, but I enjoy doing it.
I normally have them packed on the 1st of January, but have been doing some other things. Today is the Day!
WordPress sent a note that my traffic is spiking. It’s true that this blog is gaining momentum. It’s never been a goal to increase the blog’s readership and I’m not really trying to. As with growth, comes a lot of other things too, but I’ll take it. Welcome! For someone just chatting about her life and thoughts – I’m shocked that 33 people an hour would be here.
Much to my surprise Little Bit hung out with me in the laundry room yesterday. I asked him if God sent him to me to be “my Maisy girl” for a while as she was always at my feet (actually though she didn’t like the laundry room). Later I figured out that he was scared of Roger and wanted protection. LOL How anything can be scared of Mr. Roger dog is beyond me. LOL
So…..George gave me this coffee club from Driftaway for Christmas. I hadn’t been using it because I wasn’t sure I wanted flavored coffees in the flavors of Tropical Fruit and Peach and Lemon. I am a real fan of totally black and unflavored coffees. He’s been after me to try them. So I finally told him that I was waiting til I was in the mood for “flavored” coffees. He laughed and said they were NOT flavored but the listing at the top, such as tropical fruit, fudge and molasses, etc., were just the “tone” of it. “Ohhhhh” I said, “that makes all the difference”. So we had a pot of coffee in the afternoon yesterday, and I set up my account from George’s gift order. And soon (after two more days), I’ll go in and rank them.
I’m trying them backwards. So the Profile 4 we had yesterday and the Profile 3 is today. Surprisingly the Profile 3 seems to have more taste than the Profile 4, even though 4 is darker. But 4 (see very bottom of the coffee envelope) is from Brazil and 3 is from Guatemala. And Guatemalan Antiguan has always been our favorite flavor of coffee. But I have to wait to order so it won’t deliver while we are gone.
Much to my surprise, George grabbed the china cups to drink it from. Now I think he has started a trend. Coffee tastes REALLY good out of a china cup. My china is “Barrymore” by Noritake. It’s a Japanese made china set, which is interesting considering that it’s called “China” and most everything comes from China.
The coffee club by Driftaway has certain regions in which they obtain the coffee. And you are basically picking your region, at least that appears to be the way it works. I’m sure Guatemalan will win with us because it always has before.
New Year Goals for 2021
Wow don’t we ALL have hopes and dreams for this next year? How could one NOT after 2020. These things below are a compilation of everything including a bucket list, a resolution list, a to do list, an obtain (get it) list, an aspiration list, and a dream list. Because – WHY NOT just go “WHOLE HOG” here? So 1, 2, 3, here I go and these are not in any order of importance.
- Vlog goals/improvements – This is deep and all inclusive from learning my camera, learning YouTube, YouTube Buddy, growing the channel, enriching the content and on and on.
- Weight loss/Self Care – Always on the list. We can’t give up. Seeking fun ways to slim down while still being true to our foodie selves and not having to drink shakes on a cold winter’s morn.
- Taking care of family
- Pet situation is a big concern for 2021. I think we will be losing Roger soon.
- Flooring – Praise the Lord, we get new flooring.
- God – Intensive studies, journaling, and being more accepting of His day to day guidance and protection, in a more personal way.
- Developing a study area – chair in my office which will also be a YouTube watching chair for watching shows on the iMac when George is using the other TV or listening to music! I’m so excited about this.
- Reconsider all the Subscriptions that I have. Some need to go.
- Reconsider our phone and cable costs. We need to rightsize everything based on usage/needs.
- Big Sur Update on the iMac. Ditching Sophos’ internet protection and finding another that works with Big Sur.
- Complete the entire Canon Camera Series (part of the first goal listed actually)
- Use the InstaPot – I’ve never used it. George has.
- Begin reading REAL books again.
- Keep growing and learning.
- Keep trying to be a better person- this could be a whole entire blog session in itself. lol
- Be excited about life even though we are still in a Pandemic but hopefully crawling out of it before long (?).
- Minimizing a few things and maximizing a few things. (Also a whole new blog post).
Why you Shouldn’t Give Up Your New Year’s Resolutions
There seems to be a trend in the last decade or so for people to QUIT having new year’s resolutions. Depending on the thought camp there, that can be either good or bad. To give up on all things that have to do with aspirations, dreams, and becoming a better self, is certainly not good. To ascertain that one needs to do this all the time and not just New Year’s is certainly acceptable in thought and practice.
I really think the change of seasons is a good time to jump start any new plans, ideas, self help, and set new targets for the quarter or seasons ahead.
Why should we NOT give up our _________? (Dreams, goals, aspirations)
- Must keep the hope that our lives are served out in the purpose intended by God or the universe if you choose to think of it that way
- Must have a direction to steer toward as to not spin in place and surge downward
- Need to focus on things worth focusing on and reach out for our potential
- Need to have some control over your life or someone else will
- Need to have stepping stones to get where you are going
- Low hanging fruit is within reach and should not be ignored
- A plan can be made and a plan can be changed, but no plan is to be stagnant or a feather in the wind
- One can sip wine or coffee while contemplating the next move 🙂
- Life is exciting when a goal is reached or a project is maintained
- Often your forward movement opens other doors you never dreamed would open
- We all have potential that has been untapped.
- Life has surprises tucked away in corners and treasures tucked away at various turns
- Sharpen your skills and interests and increase your value to society
We could all go on and on, but we can’t just stop here in life and let the weeds take over. Must keep moving, growing, learning, and defining our lives.
January (New Year) Food Traditions Globally
I was reading the January section of the 2021 Old Farmer’s Almanac and these food traditions are consumed and considered vital in the first days of the new year in many parts of our world:
Of course most of us know that black eyed peas are considered good fortune here in the US?
Dutch homes consider any ring shaped food as symbolizing “coming full circle” and leading to fortune – such as a donut. Wow, I would really like to have a donut right now. I forgot about them. I’ll get one in Texas for sure.
Irish eat pastries called bannocks, which I’ve never heard of.
India and Pakistan – rice promises prosperity.
Apples dipped in honey are a Rosh Hashanah tradition.
Swiss homes enjoy dollops of whipped cream to symbolize the richness of the New Year. Even dropped on the floor and allowed to stay there. What?
Today is my birthday! Last night we celebrated with my SIL and BIL, Susan and Kevin. We went to Hermitage Steak House. It was not easy to get this pic. I was in about 8 people’s way and had two get out of the way (George and Kevin), lol. But it was worth it. I love the feel of this steak house in the log cabin.
They have the best steak ever! And it was decorated so pretty and elegantly. And the fireplace was wonderful.
Today’s Specific Goals
Mainly need to get these Christmas things out of the way, get the ironing done, make a Walmart run for snacks for Texas and a few things for work so I have meals to eat this week until we get the word to head South West. I have a big list of things to do including change purses and such, give myself a pedi, and all that.
George is fixing us a steak and egg breakfast as we had a steak thawed that needs to get used. We ended up taking longer to eat the lamb (two dinners) than expected and he’d thawed the steaks already. Then tonight we will be doing Olive Garden Takeout.
Oh we got some gifts in the mail yesterday from my Sister for Christmas. That was nice. We get to shop and eat!
I’m so excited to get to see and hold my Grandson soon. How exciting! I have to remember to go back and see who guessed his birthdate correctly after we get back. If I forget, remind me! I better get going on this day. These days off go by so quickly. It amazes me how I’m so good at entertaining myself. lol I guess it’s a God given talent in itself. I did spend the first 10 years of my life as an only child. So it comes natural. More natural than I thought it would. The internet helps with the blog and vlog and games and Netflix and all the audio books, not to mention regular books. No wonder we never have time for anything anymore. LOL.
Your Turn to Share
Now it’s your turn. What are a couple of your biggest goals for the new year? Do you have any New Year traditions or foods that you do that were not mentioned? Leave a comment below. Love to hear them. Ya’ll have a good day. Check back in with you later!
2 responses to “New Year Goals and Why You Shouldn’t Give up on Resolutions”
Happy Birthday. Love the Hermitage Steak House. Glad you got to enjoy your BD with you SIL and BIL. We are getting ready for the New Year. We are planning to get to do more this year